Nothing to do with the title of this post but, although it seems a long time since I was at the Festival of Quilts, a friend reminded me that I had not included my own quilt in the previous two posts. I was delighted when I arrived on Thursday to discover that it had gained a Judge’s choice from Grietje Van der Veen. This was the quilt that I had all the problems with and I have to say that it did hang well after all. If any of you went and noticed that it was not included in the catalogue, it was because Upper Street Events omitted to enter it, their mistake, not mine.
Not much actual sewing has been going on lately, partly because I was without my sewing machine for several weeks while it was in for a service. I had tried using my old machine for some machine quilting but wasn’t happy with it so decided that I would prepare some digitally printed tops, ready for the machine’s return. The one that I did try on the old machine was a piece from my Cogwheels series. I had played about with the filters in Photoshop and came up with this piece. Not one I will do again but it turned out to be just the right size for my bedside cabinet.
I have continued with using Belper Mill photos and these are the results. This first one is a combination of the windows of the mill and the cogwheel, layered and then printed onto my favourite silk cotton mix fabric. It is layered up ready for quilting – hopefully that will happen this week.
The next two used a photo of a lovely gate at the start of the River gardens by the mill. I have been trying to work on reducing the appearance of the joins in the fabric so these were experiments, again layered and ready for quilting.
One of the things that has caused me concern lately is the trapping of songbirds in places like Malta and Cyprus as they travel through the areas as part of their migration and I experimented with creating a top for this. I have some ideas about how it might progress but, as yet, I’m unsure whether I will continue with it. I need time to be able to try out some ideas.
And finally, because I had nothing better to do the other day, I combined two photos of poppies, one of the seed head and one of the centre. I changed the hue and this one is printed onto cotton, not yet put together as it is still on my design wall.
I suspect that I will have plenty to keep me occupied during the coming weeks and am determined to get into the studio and start sewing, especially as the weather has started to cool down. Having said that, I am looking at a clear blue sky outside as I type this.
Have a good week and enjoy whatever you are doing