I noticed when I logged on just now that it’s been over a month since I last blogged. I’m surprised any of you still follow me! Anyway, here I am now, so what have I been up to?
I decided to take the plunge and enter the Quilt Art Masters juried competition at Festival of Quilts. As I expected, I didn’t get in but at least it will get an airing in the open competition, in the Art Quilts category. It is the piece that I was having problems with as my machine kept skipping stitches but eventually I returned to it and got it done. I had intended to face the quilt but the additional layer for turning was just too much so I added a binding instead. I don’t feel too badly about that as the climbing rose in the garden is constrained anyway.
I was very pleased with myself for getting on track with deadlines this year and finished my entry for the SAQA Wide Horizons exhibition, another juried show with a whole day to spare. To say that I wasn’t a happy bunny, when I came to do the entry form and discovered that it was the wrong size, is an understatement. I had mis-read the instructions as one side having to be at least 70cm and unfortunately, although it was 91cm wide, it was only 53 cm high. It was a piece of fabric that I had dyed using soy wax resist and to which I added gold leaf. It’s a good job that there is room on my wall for this one.
On a happier note, I did get my piece done for the SAQA Benefit Auction in time and it arrived safely. It’s 12″ x 12″ and is another of my Wheels and Windows series. If you’re interested, you can see all the donations here
I’m also up to date with my Contemporary Group journal quilts. May and June finished. May is based on the rose series but I disintegrated the rose spiral and fused it to a piece of fabric that I had dyed in a flag fold pattern.
For June I found another piece of silk noil that I had dyed, added some silk organza strips and some cotton scrim circles. I wanted to try out the scrim and the organza as layers and so this was the ideal opportunity. I do like the colours in this one.
The other thing that I finished was Lisa Call’s Working in a Series class. Lisa is an excellent teacher and I really do recommend her classes. I managed to finish all the assignments and produce more work that I had anticipated being able to. This is a photo of all the pieces together.
I really missed the class when it had finished but Lisa has put together a class for people who have taken the Working a Series class. It’s more like a mentoring programme and has only just started. The good thing is that you only need to commit to producing a piece once a month – very doable. I decided to return to the idea of using the photos that I took of Belper Mill and layer some of them. I hadn’t been happy about the more representational collage that I did for the first assignment for the class but couldn’t work out how I was going to make it more abstract. I was going through some old photos that I had been playing around with in Photoshop some years ago and had a light bulb moment. By adding various filters I was then able to select a small, interesting section and enlarge it to produce a more abstracted image. I’ve printed off two which I am currently working on as I wanted to test the difference between working on cotton and silk/cotton mix. Neither piece is finished yet but I have started to quilt them and, as they are not due until the end of June, they will definitely meet the deadline. These are just small sections of the larger pieces.
Completely away from anything creative, Casper will have been here for a month on Friday and has settled down really well. So much so, in fact, that he and Jack sat at the top of the stairs on Monday morning wondering why I needed to go to my cat socialising at The Ark when I could stay here and socialise with them. Sorry about Jack looking a bit like a cardboard cut-out but his arthritic hip means that he rarely sits normally.
Enough for now, it’s so lovely outside I’m going to sit and enjoy the garden
Have a good week