I really do enjoy surface design work and having read somewhere that gelli plates are not supposed to work very successfully with MX dyes so, of course, I had to have a go to find out just why not. Well it turns out that thickened dyes do work with gelli plates although it is impossible to get a sharp crisp image if that is what you are looking for as the dye separates on the plate and creates a sort of blobby textured background. The other thing that is almost impossible to achieve is a ghost print. However for one-off textures I think it works pretty well. All the prints were made with a 6″ x 6″ gelli plate as I didn’t want to risk ruining my larger one, just in case. You should be able to see the marks more clearly by clicking on the image and then clicking again for a real close up.
Printed onto plain white cotton.
Printed onto previously dyed and printed silk/cotton mix
Printed onto a dyed and printed cotton.
Printed onto a piece of cotton that had been dyed and then used as practice for mark making.
All this printing activity motivated me to get back into some dyeing again so I did some small samples of fabric manipulation. I really should be one of those organised people who make a note of the colours they use as some of these are worth trying out on larger pieces.
Heavy habotai silk. Love that purple and lime green together!
Cotton Broadcloth. Love the way that the lettering seems to be embossed.
The result of all this is plenty of ideas to play around with. Not sure how much time I’ll have for that over the next few weeks though as I’m starting Lisa Call’s Working in a Series class tomorrow and if it’s anything like the Abstraction class, it will be pretty intense but highly rewarding. At least I will have things to post about!
Thanks for dropping by. Have a good creative week.